The church was constructed circa 1842 in Victorian/Gothic style. It consists of a sanctuary, chancel and nave with central aisle. A tower is attached at the west end, forming a porch with a partitioned vestry on the south side. Stairs on the north side lead up to the ringing chamber above.
The church of St. Brynach, is a Listed Grade II building (17/02/2000) and the entrance gates to the churchyard of the church were listed as Grade II on 18/06/2004. Our Church is dedicated to Saint Brynach who is believed to have come from Ireland to act as chaplain to Brychan, the Irish Ruler with headquarters at Brecon. There has been a Christian Community in Llanfyrnach since the 5th Century. The construction is circa 1842 in a Victorian/Gothic style. A tower is attached at the west end, forming a porch with a partitioned vestry on the south side. Stairs on the north side lead up to the ringing chamber above. We have two bells in the tower but no bell ringer.
The inside consists of a sanctuary, chancel and nave with central aisle. The whole layout is on one level enabling good disability access. The Church provides a venue for weddings, and the churchyard is open for burials.
The walls are constructed in random rubble stone with lime mortar, there are buttresses and pinnacles on the south, north and west sides. The church is roofed with Welsh slate with Fleur-de-lys clay ridges. St Brynach's Church is the only place of worship in Llanfyrnach village. It serves a large parish, of some 6½ thousand acres which includes the busy village of Crymych.
We have a congregation of about 25 each Sunday, which is a goodly number for a secluded country church, some members have been worshiping at this church for 50 years or more.
We have held Art & Craft Exhibitions and the church lends itself to non-worship uses. Parents bring their children for baptism, and the local Rainbows attend the annual Chris Tingle service. The Christmas Carol service is a very popular event, and the Harvest thanksgiving service attracts people from this largely farming community.
Map of the area
Hold down the CTRL key and press the (+) plus key to enlarge the map
then hold down the CTRL key again and press the (-) minus key to reduce the map.
OS grid ref SN2200831156
OS X 222008
OS Y 231156
Postcode SA35 0
Priest in Charge
The Revd Jonathan Copus MA
The Revd Canon Dr Jeni Parsons
Cllr Lynn Davies
& Child Protection Officer
Eunice Batchelor JP
Health & Safety Officer